Scientist Structural Biology
Confo Therapeutics, a spin-off of VIB and VUB, is a drug discovery company built around a disruptive technology which enables it to address ‘undruggable’ GPCRs. The company is building a portfolio of transformative medicines in various disease areas. Confo Therapeutics’ headquarter is located on the Technology Park in Zwijnaarde/Ghent and the company has a second exploitation site on the Etterbeek campus of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. More information about Confo’s technology and strategy can be found on www.confotherapeutics.com.
For the expansion of our structural biology team in Brussels/Ghent we are currently looking for a (m/f):
Scientist Structural Biology (cryo-electron microscopy and single-particle analysis)
Confo Therapeutics is seeking a motivated structural biologist with strong expertise on single particle cryo-EM (sample prep, data-collection, processing and refinement)
Detailed job description:
- Process single particle cryo-EM data including handling raw data, interpretation, 3D reconstruction and map refinement, and model building in various pipe-line projects.
- Maintenance and development of the infrastructure for cryo-EM, with emphasis on supporting both internal drug-development pipeline programs and technology development.
- Support high-performance structural biology computing infrastructure including management of large data storage and processing clusters.
- Provide scientific expertise to cross-functional project teams on progress and explore the feasibility of experiment proposals.
- Train scientists in cryo-EM data processing using various state-of-the-art software for 3D reconstructions, atomic model building and in fundamentals of cryo-EM sample handling and preparation.
- In a project leader role, you will be expected to maintain focus and provide direction to the team members with clear project plans and defined timelines, maintain productive relationships with project team members and communicate progress against goals in a multidisciplinary setting: chemistry, biology, pharmacology, and modeling.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in structural biology, biophysics, or a related field with postdoctoral/industrial experience in structural biology and 2+ years of documented experience in cryo-EM of proteins.
- Experience with cryo-EM sample preparation protocols including negative staining and sample vitrification.
- Experience with Linux OS (Installation, configuration and maintenance).
- Strong expertise in single particle cryo-EM image processing and 3D reconstruction (expertise user programs such as RELION, CryoSPARC, CryOLO, WARP). Expert on data-processing and structure solution of small size protein and transient membrane protein complexes (<150 kDa) is desired.
- Experience with software for model building and refinement such as Phenix, CCP4-em, Chimera, Rosetta, Coot etc.
- Experience with operation of screening and high-resolution data-collection microscopes.
- A true team player with a track record of successful collaborations.
- Skills in managing multiple projects and capability to prioritize.
- A competitive compensation package with extensive benefits.
- The chance to continuously grow as a professional.
- A job where you can make a difference.
- An entrepreneurial and stimulating working environment in a growing and ambitious biotech company.